Adopting a holistic approach to leading a healthy lifestyle is not only wise but also effective in preventing the onset of health problems such as chronic kidney disease in the long run.
Life Hack #1:
Stay healthy by cultivating the habit of taking leisure walks with your loved ones, incorporate exercises one step at a time and discover the health benefits you can reap!
How can you incorporate exercises, one step at a time?
- While cooking dinner, do standing push-ups while you wait for a pot to boil
- If you dine out during lunch hour, walk to the restaurant and take a longer route
- Do leg exercises and lift small weights while you are watching the TV
- Take the stairs instead of lifts and escalators if you can
- Join a sport with a friend! Having a workout buddy gives you more motivation to exercise
Eat Right, Live Well
Adopt healthy eating habits and protect yourself from diseases like diabetes and hypertension, the leading causes of kidney failure. No special diet is needed to protect your kidneys.
How can you practise healthy eating habits?
- Fill half of your plate with vegetables
- Fill one-quarter of your plate with whole grains like brown rice, wholemeal noodles or wholemeal pasta
- Fill up the other one quarter with protein food like egg, fish, lean meat or chicken. If you are vegetarian, fill it up with plant-based protein like tofu, tempeh, beans and legumes
- Remember to complete your healthy plate with 1 serving of fruit
Life Hack #3:
Sleep Well, Be Well
If you do not function well during the day, or feel a constant lack of alertness, you may not be getting enough sleep. Contrary to popular belief, sleep is not just a time when your mind and body shuts off. When we sleep, our brain recharges and prepares us for the day ahead!
How can you practise ideal sleeping habits?
- Relaxation before bed
- Get between 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night
- Listen to calming music
- Keep in sync with your body’s natural sleep-wake cycle
Go for Check-ups
Early detection and treatment are 2 of the best safeguards against the onset of severe diseases. Going for regular check-ups allow you to know your risks and health status. By taking steps to get the proper health screenings and treatments, your chances of living a longer, healthier life is increased.
Take charge, stay healthy and fit for better kidney health!