|Dumpling skin||20 pieces|
|Napa cabbage, finely shredded||1/2 cup|
|Carrots, finely shredded, roughly chopped into smaller pieces||1/2 cup|
|Tofu, extra firm, diced||1 box (300g)|
|Black pepper, freshly ground||½ teaspoon|
|Sesame oil||1 teaspoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Egg, beaten||2 egg whites|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Water (as required)||½ cup|
|Ginger, minced||1 Tablespoon|
|Onions, finely minced||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic, minced||1 Tablespoon|
- Heat a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Sauté ginger, onion and garlic until fragrant. And remove from heat.
- Cook napa cabbage and carrots for 2 minutes till tender, and add in tofu to gently stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Drain away the excess gravy from the cooked ingredients, if any.
- Then, in a bowl, mix above ingredients with napa cabbage, carrot, tofu, beaten egg, black pepper, sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Moisten the edges on one side of the dumpling skin lightly with water using a brush or finger and add 2 to 3 teaspoons of filling onto it.
- Fold and press the sides together to create a semi-circle shape and press out any air to ensure that they stick together.
- Fold and press left to right to create 5 to 6 pleats along the edges of the dumpling
- Repeat steps 5 to 7 for the remaining dumpling skins.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add 10 dumplings to the pan and fry for 2 minutes until the bottoms turn golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and pour ¼ cup of water into the pan very carefully and slowly to avoid oil splatter
- Cover the pan immediately and allow dumplings to steam for about 3 minutes until water has evaporated
- Remove the lid and turn up the heat to medium-high
- Remove from heat after frying for 2 minutes until bottoms are brown and crisp
1. To increase fibre:
✔ Add low potassium vegetable like long beans into the dumpling filling
2. To limit sodium intake,
✔ Control amount of sauce used for dipping
✔ Reduce the amount of soy sauce used for the filling
✔ Your type of finger-food during dialysis treatment
Nutrition content per serving: (Energy: 288 kcal)
|Carbohydrate||22 g||Protein||11 g||Total fat||15 g|
|Sodium||453 mg||Potassium||332 mg||Phosphate||124 mg|