Facts about Cholesterol
- Cholesterol is a type of fat found in all body cells
- It is considered non-essential as the liver is able to produce it
- Cholesterol is only found in animal products
Functions of Cholesterol
- Helps body to produce vitamin D and sex hormones.
- Liver uses cholesterol to produce bile which aids in fat digestion.
- Important structural components of cell membranes.
2 types of cholesterol in our body: LDL and HDL Cholesterol
- Low Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol
- Termed as “bad” cholesterol
- May increase risk of heart disease, heart attack and stroke
Tips to lower LDL Cholesterol
- Eat high fibre foods like oatmeal, omega-3 fatty acids rich foods like walnuts, almonds and other nuts.
- Reduce intake of saturated and trans fat.
- Achieve and maintain a healthy body weight.
- High Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol
- Termed as “good” cholesterol
- Transports excess cholesterol and plaque back to the liver where it is eliminated as bile
Tips to decrease risk of heart disease
- Exercise for 30-minutes for at least five times a week
- Achieve and maintain a healthy body weight
- Avoid smoking
- Eat a healthy diet and limit red meat, sweets and sugar-sweetened beverages.